BANYO is a Murri word meaning small hill or ridge.
The northside Brisbane suburb took the name from its railway station in about 1897, according to the Natural Resources Department.
Before that it had been known as Clapham Junction.
The word was probably Turrbal clan, Yugarabul language group.
Banyo and surrounding areas have a rich indigenous history.
Evidence of Murri occupation can be found in a bora ring at Nudgee Waterhole and in sites at Dinah Island near Boondall Wetlands.
Lutheran missionaries arrived at Nundah near Banyo in 1838 with the idea of ministering to Murris.
Many German families settled even though they were largely unsuccessful in gaining converts, according to Brisbane City Council library services.
They may have been attracted by the good soil in higher parts, which saw the area 11km north of the CBD soon become known for its market gardens and mango trees, valencia oranges, pineapples and grapes.
Although low-lying in many areas, more elevated parts had good soil and were suitable for fruit and vegetable growing.
During World War II Eagle Farm airport was upgraded and much of the soil was taken from the surrounding suburbs of Nudgee and Banyo.
In 1858 the first mail service to the area was made by coach.
It passed through Banyo, Northgate, Nundah and Nudgee on its way to Sandgate.
In 1912 a stopping place for the Sandgate-bound train was set up at the Tufnell Rd level crossing.
The new station was named Banyo, even though it had been known locally as Clapham Junction.
During World War II Banyo was a busy place, with warehouses and US troops stationed nearby.
After the war the suburb developed with a mix of residential and light industry.
The Golden Circle Cannery has been a landmark in the Banyo-Nudgee area since 1947.
Another landmark is the Banyo Seminary, which was opened in 1941.
It is now the Australian Catholic University.