18.5 C
Brisbane
Monday, May 25, 2026
Home Most Recent BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL CEMETERY SHAME

BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL CEMETERY SHAME

Residents across Brisbane are outraged over the lack of maintenance at cemeteries including Pinnaroo in Albany Creek, Lutwyche, Balmoral and Toowong.

It’s been revealed Brisbane City Council has cut $1.5million from the cemetery budget and have no clear maintenance schedule for weed management or moving at the sites.

At many graves, the grass is so long on top they need to weed kill and mow, increasing Council’s costs further.

Local residents have written to Council, detailing their distress when visiting family members graves and seeing them overgrown or, in some cases, damaged.

Deputy Leader of the Council Opposition, Cr Lucy Collier said she’s calling on the Lord Mayor and his Council to enforce a regular schedule of maintenance.

“I’ve spoken to people who couldn’t visit their loved ones on Christmas Day because the grass was too high for them to access. I’ve spoken to people who have seen grave tops destroyed because of the lack of maintenance,” Cr Collier said.
“I’ve been inundated with messages from people who think that this LNP led Council and the Lord Mayor have let them down by failing to do the basics – like keeping cemeteries in a respectable state.”

Cr Lucy Collier has been contacted by many residents and advocacy groups regarding the state of Balmoral Cemetery.

Friends of Lutwyche Cemetery have also been advocating on the issue, taking to Facebook to share their thoughts.

“We at Friends of Lutwyche Cemetery have also been in discussion with BCC Cemetery Management about the deteriorating level of maintenance we have witnessed over the past 12 to 18 months.

“We will be raising our concerns again with our local councillor Councillor Danita Parry in the hope that not only the frequency of maintenance can be improved but also the quality of maintenance.”

Meanwhile at the Balmoral Cemetery, branches from trees have fallen but not been collected. Community members have made numerous complaints to Council but fail to get a response or are told it will be mowed in due course.

Concerns are shared across Brisbane, many saying they can’t even access the graves of loved ones or find it disrespectful to pioneers, Veterans and Government officials buried there.

Leave a Reply

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

$90,000 SPENT ON ‘METRO’ ADS LAST MONTH: COUNCIL

Brisbane City Council has revealed that it spent $90,000 advertising the 'Metro' Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) System in April this year. It comes after initially...

‘BRIDGE USERS DON’T GIVE A FLYING FOX’ LNP PRIORITIES QUESTIONED AFTER TOURISM ANNOUNCEMENT

Brisbane City Council’s Labor Opposition has slammed the LNP Lord Mayor, Council and State Government after this morning’s announcement of $2.1 million in public...

BCC CALLED OUT ON INTERNATIONAL WORKERS MEMORIAL DAY

Transport workers across Australia are marking Workers’ Memorial Day with solemn vigils at Cleanaway sites, honouring the eight employees who have died at the...

CONSULTATION OPEN ON WESTERN SUBURBS TRANSPORT PLAN

Residents of Brisbane’s Western Suburbs have long felt ignored by transport planners. However, there could soon be light at the end of the tunnel. As...

Recent Comments

Discover more from Brisbane Now

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading