13.3 C
Brisbane
Friday, August 21, 2026
Home Uncategorized BRISBANE LABOR CALLS FOR LORD MAYOR TO PRIORITISE RESIDENTS THIS BUDGET

BRISBANE LABOR CALLS FOR LORD MAYOR TO PRIORITISE RESIDENTS THIS BUDGET

The Brisbane Labor Council Opposition is calling on the Lord Mayor to shift his priorities and focus on the needs of the community in tomorrow’s 2025-26 Budget.

The Labor Opposition has slammed the LNP Council for ‘losing their way’ after 21 years in power.

It’s claimed the LNP Council has been misallocating funds, pointing to international corporate travel, lavish opening parties, and a large advertising budget, including the “Living in Brisbane” newsletter, as examples of wasteful spending.

The LNP have also reduced staff numbers by around 500 in the last two years and cut $500million from last year’s budget leading to a decline in essential services such as tree maintenance, drainage, footpath repairs, playground upkeep, and road resurfacing.

The Opposition has also highlighted concerns over budget blowouts on projects like Brisbane Metro and Moggill Road, as well as the potential implementation of a toll on the Story Bridge to pay for Adrian Schrinner’s neglect.

Brisbane Labor has outlined three key priorities for the upcoming budget:

  1. Any rate rises must stay in line with inflation. It’s unfair for the LNP Council to raid Brisbane ratepayers for the cost-of-living relief they’ve received from the federal government.
  2. Prioritise suburban infrastructure. Our roads, footpaths, parks and playgrounds desperately need repairs and upgrades. Kerb and channelling and drainage needs more investment to reduce flooding.
  3. Stop the cuts! There’s been $870M in cuts to frontline staff, services and infrastructure over the past two years. No more cuts while spending on international travel, exclusive parties and advertising.

Leader of the Opposition, Cr Jared Cassidy, stated that the budget choices reflect Adrian Schrinner’s priorities and values.

“The Lord Mayor’s recent plans to turn Mount Coo-tha into Brisbane’s ‘Singapore Gardens By the Bay’ says a lot about his priorities when Brisbane is crippled by congestion, is seeing the Story Bridge crumble and is facing record high rates,” Cr Cassidy said.

“How can you introduce glamping tents on Mount Coo-tha while bulldozing tents in other Brisbane parks, where people with nowhere to go are sheltering?”

“We know this LNP Lord Mayor invests in projects that give him a flashy media headline but he fails to deliver the basics to ratepayers.”

“Adrian Schrinner will raise your rates and charge you a fee to get them in the mail and due to his neglect, will see you pay a toll to use the Story Bridge.”

“With record levels of overseas travel, LNP fundraisers prioritised over basic works, Brisbane is heading for an Olympic-sized disaster.”

“The LNP Lord Mayor sees the people of Brisbane as his rivers of gold, and we are all paying the price,” Cr Cassidy said.

The Brisbane City Council Budget will be handed down at 11am Wednesday 18 June.

.

Leave a Reply

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

WHAT’S ON IN BRISBANE THIS WEEKEND

Ekka Returns, Candlelight Classics, and Craft Beer Festivities With clear skies on the forecast and a packed lineup of events across the city, there is...

RATEPAYER RECKONING: RESIDENTS MISLEAD BY SNEAKY RATES HIKES

As rates notices hit mailboxes, Brisbane City’s LNP Council have been forced onto the backfoot as residents question why their rates rises are much...

“DUD DEAL FOR BRISBANE” ADRIAN SCHIRNNER’S LEGACY DOCUMENT PANNED

Soon after Adrian Schrinner had unveiled a new countdown clock in Queen Street Mall, Brisbane’s Council Opposition had slammed the Lord Mayor’s Olympic Legacy...

WHAT’S ON THIS WEEKEND

There’s more happening right across Brisbane than you thought you knew this weekend with something for every age and budget. Check out our top...

Recent Comments

Discover more from Brisbane Now

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading