Queensland is a state of bushfires, floods, severe storms, heatwaves and drought.
It can be beautiful one day and scary the next.
But there are a few things you can do to make sure those frightening times, are less uncertain.
We’ve put together a shortlist to help you on your way:
- Register for Brisbane City Council’s early warning alerts to give yourself a heads up before severe storms hit or for other natural disaster emergencies.
- Make sure you’re insured.
- Prepare an emergency kit – suggested items include a portable battery-powered radio, torches, candles with waterproof matches, a first aid kit, a waterproof bag for clothing and valuables, a list of emergency contact numbers and a supply of drinking water and canned or dried food.
- Check to see if your property is at risk of flooding on Council’s flood awareness map.
- Find out where your nearest sandbag depot is.